Wednesday, August 3, 2011

{in the gut}

So my best advice for my friend who has ventured into the lovely world of online dating (and any of you who may be reading out there) is to go with your gut.  Follow your instincts.  I don’t know if I am the best person to be giving advice… seeing how I am not exactly successful in the dating realm.  But I do have a TON of experience now.  Hmm… wonder what my dating resume would look like.

I have come away from the dot com dates with a very good perspective and feel like I could lend a few words of encouragement (or warning) and stand behind them.  I do still feel like you have to jump in, have faith, give people a chance… but over all, listen to your inner voice.  The one that makes the first judgments when you meet someone, the one that tells you this or that is a red flag, and the one that says you can do better.  And while I think it is a good thing to give someone a chance to show you who they are, I think you need to ignore that other inner voice that says “but you’re lonely”, or “maybe he’s just fill in the blank. Do not make excuses for someone you do not know.  Do not make him out to be the person you want him to be in your head.  Give him a chance, let him show you himself, and if your gut chimes in… listen to it.

So, I have had two dates since I have last posted.  One was with You’ve Got Mail and the other was with To Russia with Love.  And if I’m following my own advice, I’d say that neither of them will be sounding off any bells and whistles.  I would give To Russia with Love a shot though.  We had a very short, standard lunch date and I don’t feel like I got a good register of him.  So we will see if he calls for a second date.  I got the standard “we should do this again” farewell.  We’ll see… what do you think gut?

I am still holding out hope for The Biologist… I would really like to meet him and confirm the idea I have of him in my head.  I am afraid that he may have fallen into the pit of being matched with someone newer and shinier.  I hope not… he has been the one who has peeked my interest the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment